Archive for November 21st, 2010
Can you find your stuff?
So you just bought that 2TB external hard drive… adding to the 1TB external hard drive you already had. Plus you have the internal hard drives in your desktop PC or laptop. Do you have a home network with a network drive? How many terabytes is that? Can you find your stuff?
You have documents like MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Microsoft Project and PDF’s; and you have your digital photos, and music. What’s in those zip files? Can you find all your stuff? How many different files types do you have? Maybe 150 different types of files with all sorts of different content and formats.
I know there is Microsoft search and Google desktop search. The world is filled with options. Sometimes we are overwhelmed with choices and options.
Compernic Desktop Search
Here is another option for desktop search. If you don’t lile Windows Search and you don’ t like Google Desktop Search you may want to try this option – Copernic Desktop Search.
Copernic Desktop Search is free – at least the home edition. If you like it and want additional capability you can upgrade to the Professional or Network versions. For me, the home edition serves my needs of indexing multi-terabytes of disk and millions of files.
You can get Copernic here – http://www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/index.html
- You can fine-tune the search targets down to individual disks and folders
- After finding targets the search can be refined within the search result collection
- Fine grain control is available to limit the indexing of files based on file size (skip very large files of very small files)
- Add/Remove file types to index. Default is 150 different file types. You can add any filetype
- By file type, you can control if just the name and/or the file content is indexed
- Preview pane can show the search term in context and lauch the appropriate application to view or play (music, video) the selected file in the collection
- Hover over found music files shows the tags
- No real limit to how many files can be indexed
- Control of where the index file is located along with ability to move/delete/reindex the file as needed
- Intuitive user interface
Additional features that would be of value